This is not a normal post for me, so be prepared for some whining...
Mother's Day this year happened to be one of those days. You know the ones. It was one of those days when you really don't want to be a mom anymore.
Spencer recently switched to day shift (small hallelujah!) so we get him home every night, but the downside is that he had to take a weekend shift in order to get it. We don't see him at all on Saturdays and Sundays til about 6 pm. We do fine by ourselves for the most part, but this Sunday was particularly difficult.
Both girls were up WAY too early for me. They usually sleep til about 7:30 am, but Sadie was ready to start her day early and was in her bed telling me through the monitor "I'm ready to get up now mom" at 6:15 am! Afton spent much of the morning screaming for no apparent reason and refused to be consoled by anything. She was not interested in her pacifier, bottle, being swaddled, laying on her play mat, being held, not being held... you get the idea.
Our living room clock was going really slow and although I told myself it was 20 minutes slow several times throughout the morning, I still forgot about it, so when I finally walked into the kitchen to get something, I realized we were already late for church. Awesome.
Church is difficult in general for Sadie because we have 1:00 church and she usually takes a nap right at 1:00 pm. She ends up making it through alright thanks to her absolute LOVE for nursery, but she's always a little more of a diva the rest of the day because of her lack of sleep. Lots of throwing herself on the floor and crying for no apparent reason. It's fun. Afton wasn't over her crying fit during church, so we didn't actually sit in most of the meetings. I was in the hall bouncing Afton trying to get her to fall asleep for about an hour and a half. (and remember, we were already half an hour late)
I felt guilty for thinking it, but as I'm walking through the hallways for the 17th time I just couldn't help but throw myself a little pity party and think, "There is no point in us being here today. I'm not even in the meetings and Sadie's gonna be awful the rest of the day. Happy Mother's Day to me."
I was able to sit through about half of Relief Society and I really enjoyed the lesson, so I know I was supposed to be there. We went to my parents house afterward for a fun Mother's Day dinner and after what seemed like an eternity of waiting... daddy came home!
It ended up being an early to bed night for us, which was fine by me, of course. But we didn't end the night before I got my fantastic presents from my most favorite people!
A double jogging stroller! Spencer and I like to take the girls out for walks in the evenings when the weather is nice and we hate having to take 2 separate strollers. We've also made a goal to get back down to our weights before I was pregnant with Sadie, so we'll be out and about a lot more often this summer! (did you notice Afton's STILL crying in this picture?) :)
They also made me this super cute candy poster. Anyone that knows me at all knows how much I LOVE candy; and having it plastered to a poster board that says really nice things about you is just the cherry on top :)
Even though I wanted to sell my kids to the circus on Sunday, I really LOVE being a mom. My two beautiful girls bring me more joy than I've ever known and I am literally the happiest I have ever been. Ever.
2 years ago
6 comments:
Way to go for staying all 3 hours! I am already dreading going to church with 2 kids, and if I was alone, I would have probably thrown in the towel! Your little girls are super cute! :)
yah, i can't believe you made it through ALL THREE HOURS!? wow. i know it's no consolation... and i know that two kids has to be SO much harder than one, but hang in there! it does feel so useless sometimes, but you're a GREAT mom! i'm sure we'll all miss these long days when our girlies are all grown up. of course, by then we won't remember how many long nights & days we spent frustrated:)
sorry ang! I have felt like that at church so many times WITH a husband. I'm so glad spence made the evening better for you.
Great story, Gigi. I, too, have felt like a single mom at church many times, especially when Dad was bishop or at the MTC. It is hard, but also rewarding when you make it through.
Your kids are too cute! I bet its hard trying to get two kids ready and bringing them places, but who can resist those two?! They both look just like you!
Way to endure! You're awesome, Ang!
Post a Comment